Gel-Pak Vacuum Release™ (VR) Trays
This extremely versatile "pocketless" tray securely holds fragile devices including bare die during shipping, handling and processing. A detailed illustration of how the VR technology works can be found at "How to use VR Tray products."
VR Trays are ideal for:
- Extremely fragile or thin devices
- Handling bare die
- No contact with edges or top surface of device
- Handling device sizes (X,Y) ranging from 250 micron to 75mm
- High-volume automated device Pick & Place applications
- Manual unloading using Vacuum Pens
Choosing the Correct VR Tray
Pick & Place from VR Tray
VR Mesh upclose
Choosing the right VR mesh size depends on the X, Y size of your device. To optimize offloading performance Gel-Pak provides a wide range of mesh geometries (16, 33, 76, 103, 137, and 195) that can handle devices from 450mm down to 250 microns.
Unloading Device from Tray while in Release Mode
This chart illustrates the recommended mesh size as a function of device size (X, Y dimension).
Gel-Pak offers an online program that will calculate the recommended mesh size for your application, along with the maximum number of devices stored per tray. The number of devices per tray is dependent on tray size, die size, and required spacing.
Vacuum Release Tray Configurations
- Gel retention levels of XT, XL, X4 (X8 available in 16 & 33 mesh only) available to accommodate variations of device size, weight and surface roughness.
- Mesh sizes 16, 33, 76, 103, 137, and 195 available based on device size. White, or Yellow color available based on mesh size.
- VR Trays are manufactured using special Process B Gel material.
- VR Trays available in black conductive polycarbonate (C) or transparent styrene (T).
- 2" VR Trays are configured either in a hinged box (-02 style) or with lid and outer clip (-00B style). Hinged boxes available is various bottom/top configurations using transparent styrene (T), conductive black (C), and transparent antistatic (AS) materials. 2" Lid available in clear styrene (T), conductive black (C), and transparent antistatic (AS) materials.
- A wide assortment of optional printed grid patterns readily available. Custom prints artwork (grids, company name, logo, etc) can be created upon request.
- 4" VR Trays (VR-44) available only in the lid and clip configuration (-00B). 2" Lid available in clear styrene (T), conductive black (C), and transparent antistatic (AS) materials.
- (-00B) style boxes require clip to secure the lid and tray combination.